Dear Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service,
Under Freedom of Information Act, I would be very grateful if you could provide the following information. I am seeking to understand how many schools have been impacted by fires and whether sprinklers were present.
1. How many fires at schools have you attended in the last five full years (2014-2019 or nearest period, if not available). Please provide a breakdown per year.
2. Of the school fires you attended in this period, how many had sprinklers fitted?
3. Please provide a breakdown of the causes of fire by year.
4. For each year, please also provide a breakdown of
a. type of school e.g. primary, secondary
b. Any injuries or deaths
c. Extent of damage to school
d. Age of school
e. Whether cladding was present
f. How many of the schools at the time the fire broke out had received a low, medium or high fire risk assessment (or alternative classification if used)?
5. How many school fire risk assessments have you carried out in the last five full years (2014-2019 or alternative period if not available)?
6. Please provide a breakdown of the outcomes e.g. low, medium, high risk
Thank you for your Freedom of Information request.
Please refer to the attached spreadsheet for the information requested where this information is recorded. Please note that Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) does not hold the information requested in questions 4d, 5 and 6. SFRS does not carry out Fire Risk Assessments as it is for the responsible person for the premises to ensure that suitable fire risk assessments are carried out by an independent competent person. Please also not that the 'Last Year - Sprinklers System Details' column contains dates the sprinkler coverage was recorded in our system.
If you are unhappy with the way your request for information has been handled, you can complain or request an internal review of the decision. This must be done within 40 working days of receiving this response. You can do this by writing to the Assistant Chief Fire Officer, Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service, St. Michael’s Street, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY1 2HJ or email: email@example.com.
If you remain dissatisfied with the handling of your request or complaint, you have a right to appeal to the Information Commissioner at:
Information Commissioner's Office
Telephone: 0303 123 1113