There are some simple safety tips you can follow to make sure your Halloween weekend is an enjoyable one.
Fire safety tips
- Plastic capes and bin liners are often used as costumes - keep them away from candles or other naked flames
- Use battery operated lights within homemade lanterns and pumpkins. Battery operated lights are much safer than candles.
- Take extra care with candles - they are extremely hazardous. If the candle tips over it could set light to materials such as costumes, curtains, clothes and furniture and start a serious fire.
In the event that clothing does catch fire - remember to STOP, DROP and ROLL:
- Stop where you are. Do not run. Running can make things worse.
- Drop to the ground. Lay flat with your legs out straight.
- Cover your eyes and mouth with your hands.
- Roll over and over and back and forth until the flames are out.
- Get help straight away.