What do I do first?


When we leave, the building becomes your responsibility.

If you cannot occupy it, remove all valuables and secure all doors, windows and other areas against unauthorised entry.

Should boarding up be necessary a contractor may be contacted through your business telephone directory under 'Glaziers'.

If you are a council tenant contact your Housing Department who will do this for you.

  • When it is necessary for the Fire and Rescue Service to cover a roof with tarpaulins they are on loan for 6 days. After this a charge, per day, is made so you should make arrangements to have them replaced.
  • It is impossible to state whether such expenses are covered by your insurance policy; telephone your agent or broker as soon as possible.

If the premises are to be left unoccupied, contact your local Police Station and inform them. Also ask neighbours to check on the premises.


If you suffer from any respiratory problems and you have inhaled smoke or you feel unwell after a fire seek immediate medical assistance from your General Practitioner or go to your nearest Hospital Accident and Emergency Department.


If your accommodation is not habitable and you cannot stay with friends or relatives it may be necessary to make alternative arrangements.

Contact the Housing Department of your Local Authority who may be able to assist.

See Essential telephone numbers.

  • Your insurance policy may cover the cost of a bed and breakfast or hotel accommodation. This should be checked with your Insurance Company and arrangements made accordingly


Accommodation for animals can be arranged through your business telephone directory under 'Boarding Kennels'.

The contents of the 'Getting back to normal' booklet are of an advisory nature and are offered in good faith, however, if you would like any specific advice please contact the Community Fire Safety team.